Goya Chanpuru (Stir-Fried Bitter Melon) is a very popular Okinawan dish. The dish is eaten very often in Summer in Japan when Goya (bitter melon/gourd/squash) is in season!
By washing or boiling it, you can remove the bitter taste BUT I know some of you still don't like the bitter flavor of Goya. Sure this is the recipe for those who love it ;) hehe
More Goya recipes are coming soon!!!
Goya Chanpuru / Stir-Fried Bitter Melon
Number of servings: 4
1 (250g=8.8oz.) Goya (bitter melon)
180g (6.4oz.) thinly sliced pork *ham, bacon, or SPAM is okay but you may want to less the amount of soy sauce when you season at the end
400g (14oz.) Shima-dofu (cotton / firm tofu)
* salt and pepper
* 2 tsp. corn or potato starch
1/2 tbsp. cooking oil
1/2 tbsp. sesame oil
* 1 tbsp. soy sauce
* salt and pepper
1 (5g) package Katsuobushi (bonito flakes)
1. Cut both ends of Goya, then cut in half lengthwise. Scrape off the seeds with a spoon and slice into thin half rounds. Put them in a bowl, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. of salt, then leave for 5 minutes until tender. Wash and drain well. *in this way you can remove the bitter taste of the Goya.
2. Tear Tofu into bite-size chunks and drain well in a strainer.
3. Cut sliced pork into bite-size pieces if necessary, then season with A.
4. Heat cooking oil in a frying pan and cook Tofu until golden brown. Then set aside.
5. In the same pan, heat sesame oil, then stir-fry the pork and Goya until done. Then add back the Tofu and season with B. *if you are using ham, bacon, or SPAM you may want to less the amount of soy sauce
6. Pour in the beaten egg, wait for 10 seconds until slightly cooked, then toss lightly.
7. Quickly mix in Katsuobushi (bonito flakes) to finish.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Saturday, July 26, 2014
How to Make Goya Chanpuru / Stir-Fried Bitter Melon (Okinawan Cuisine) - Video Recipe
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You just need 6 ingredients ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzugYxNMD4Y By using cocoa powder instead of Matcha powder, you can make...
Only 3 Ingredients!!! Looks and tastes refreshing ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8PMzIeEaY Perfect summer treat. And sure, you ...
Very moist and tasty chicken nuggets which satisfies you while on diet :D Okara (soy pulp) is a bean curd refuse which is left after makin...
Chiffon-like fluffy Matcha cupcakes with red bean sauce. Perfect WAFU combination ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZltUWKYwxg Instea...
Japanese Raindrop Cake looks like a big drop of water. It is a transparent jelly-like cake served with Kuromitsu (brown sugar syrup) and Kin...
Sesame Seed Balls (芝麻球) are a Chinese sweet treat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwHovGOSMc Instead of deep-frying them I baked in t...
I eat sesame seed snack every day, so I decided to make this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-qf1D8wv20 Since maple syrup is very s...
This is a very basic recipe for Gyoza (fried dumplings)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvdeBY6Ryw Gyoza is originally a Chinese dish,...
Harumaki was requested by my darling =) I combined my favorite shrimp and my darling's favorite meat (pork) together. http://www.yo...
Simple yet delicious. Don't you have an experience selecting hard unripe avocado even if you have examined it carefully?! This is the ...